You took the plunge and went down on one knee and the answer was “yes”, so here are a few things you need to do as soon as possible. We can assure you that the weeks, days and hours following your proposal to the final day, will be a whirlwind. Committing to the love of your life is scary and fantastic at the same time! It’s the best kind of stress you will ever experience, so our advice is to enjoy planning your wedding together and expect a few disagreements, its par for the course.
There will be many things to think about, many people to contact, and you’ll be itching to share the news with all your loved ones. Where to get started? There is no strict order to follow, but we can point you in the right direction, here is a brief to-do list:
- Call your parents, siblings and BFF’s, don’t post a selfie on social media until you’ve done this, the last place they should hear about your new status is on social media.
- Plan an engagement party, whether it be at home or at a restaurant, it’s time to celebrate.
- This is a very important tip – get the ring insured.
- Don’t jump headlong into the wedding day arrangements; enjoy a week or two of just being engaged.
- Discuss a budget and determine if your parents are in a position to assist, but see it rather as a blessing if they can, sometimes one side of the parents can and the other not, do not let this ruin your planning.
- Think about a date and be advised that the most desirable wedding venues get booked far in advance.
- Determine the size of your wedding. This will take some discussion and maybe some input from family. Once you have this approximate figure you can start to research venues.
- Choose your bridal party together.
- Gather inspiration together on the look and feel of your wedding day.
- Relax and enjoy the planning and get involved as much as you can, as it is not only your fiancé’s day but yours too!